As my birthday approaches next week (I’ll be 29 on the 29th!), I can’t help but think about the life lessons I’ve learned in my 20′s. I certainly am way more comfortable in my skin than I was when I was 22. Even more than when I was 25. I’ve learned some valuable life and style lessons (some harder than others) over the years. I wrote these down to reflect on, but I thought it would be fun to share with you. Here’s what I’ve learned.
1. A great little black dress is single handedly the best thing to have in your closet.
2. With or without makeup, a smile will always make you more beautiful.
3. Don’t be afraid to be wrong, to be quiet, to get better & to get back up again. Experience is the greatest teacher.
4. Laugh at yourself.
5. Stop trying to be perfect. Start being original.
6. Find your signature scent.
7. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.
8. The perfect red lipstick can turn your day around.
9. Mom actually knows what she’s talking about.
10. Know how to paint a room, change a tire and/or take out the trash. There’s strength in knowing how to do those things even if you never have to.
11. Write A LOT. Read even more.
12. That break up you think you won’t get over? You TOTALLY will.
13. Work hard. Even if you’re only interning for no pay.
14. Being a lady is always refreshing and always in style.
15. Working out sucks, but be sure to stay physically active. Dance, swim, run. Just stay active.
16. Try new foods. Visit new places. Meet new people. There’s a whole new world out there waiting for you.
17. Go where you’re celebrated, not tolerated.
18. Exfoliate your skin. And not just the skin on your face.
19. Drink lots of water. Distilled. Take vitamins. Biotin, vitamin E and omega 3-6-9.
20. Accept compliments. (Instead of giving a disclaimer and down playing yourself.) And give good ones out yourself.
21. Be nice to people. Even those who are not nice to you. It’s up to God to deal with them. Not you.
22. Know how to give yourself a good manicure and facial.
23. Watch less TV. You’ll realize how unimportant is.
24. Invest in a great (fitting) pair of jeans.
25. Go where the joy is. If you love it, live it. People are gonna talk regardless, so you might as well be living how you really want.
26. Yesterday is a story, tomorrow is unknown, so be present in the gift that is today.
27. Write handwritten thank you notes, call people on their birthday and give gifts just because.
28. Be intentional.
29. Thank God for the little things. Ultimately, it’s the little things that make other things big.
I’m excited to see what I’ll learn next year! What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned in your 20′s?